Monday, September 13, 2010

Tea Set from Great Grandma


This lovely Tea set was gifted to lil Sara for her first Christmas when she was just 6 months old...It had originally belonged to her Great Grandmother "Granny" whom sadly passed away a couple of yrs before she was born...Sara is the first girl child born on my husbands side of the family in 60+ yrs so it was a very big deal for her to receive this tea set.


The tiny little tea pot is just too cute for words...I can't wait for her to be old enough for us to use it...In the meantime it is kept safely tucked away...At least until I find just the right china cabinet for my dining room and then it will get displayed.


The sugar bowl and milk jug are super tiny also...It is a very thin delicate feeling china...I love the plate has plenty of room to pile up some yummy tea party goodies beside your cup...Oh come on, let's face it ladies, even though we are having "proper tea" let's not pretend we don't like those DELISH scrumptious eats that go with it *wink*


Under the plates I found this stamp and honestly I am quite the novice when it comes to china...I know what I find pretty and that is about it...though I do hope to learn more from many of you bloggers out there that collect the finest china there is to sip from.


When first seeing this set, I thought it was a "Tea for One" set because it stacks...But seems I was wrong, today when unpacking the entire set for the first time since receiving it, I discovered 3 cup and plate sets to go with it...Even if I did think I was one cup short during the entire photoshoot, hence displaying the "extra plate" behind the rest of the set...But when returning the pieces to the box I discovered the missing cup...oops


As I said, I do not know much about china, but I do know that these corset shaped cups are my favorite...Probably because when you think of "High Tea" this is the cup that springs to mind.


Regards Kelsie

I am joining in the tea parties at:

Rose Chintz Cottage & Inspirations - Tea Time Tuesday

Lady Katherine Tea Parlor - Tea Time Tuesday

Wander Lee and Pam's - Tea Pot and Tea Things Tuesday

and party Co-hosts:

Martha's Favorites - Tea Cup Tuesday
&
Terri, Artful Afirmations - Tea Cup Tuesday

14 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Very nice tea set...and so unusual.
Glad everything was passed down so it can stay in your family.

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I'm still shocked at the first girl born in 60+ years. Wow! I'm sure she will love this set when she gets older and can appreciate the history of it.
Love the way it stacks!
Happy Teacup Tuesday.
Kim

Brenda ~ The Heminger Farmhouse said...

Hello Kelsie :) What a very lovely and special Tea set Sara has recieved that belonged to her Great Grandmother...I know she will appreciate it and cherish it when she is older :) Wow, she is the first girl in 60 years...that's incredible!! What a truly special girl she is :)

Happy Tea Tuesday!!

Warmest hugs, Brenda

Appleshoe said...

What a beautiful gift and a beautiful history to go with it. I'm sure it will stay in the family for many MANY more years to come. Take care.

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous. How different too that they stack.
Diane

Terri said...

What a treasure! Lefton china company was started in 1941. They first produced china in Japan and during that time the china said "made in occupied Japan".
I could not find an example of your backstamp with a date. So all I can tell you is that it was made after 1941. Sorry, that is not much help is it?
Maybe someone out there has the Lefton catalog and can look it up.
It is a beautiful set. I love the gold on the handles and the delicate flowers.
Thank you so much for sharing this set with us today.
Hugs,
Terri

Jil~Say It With Roses said...

Such a beautiful set.....I love violets and have lots in our yard, but not too many on china...yet!
Jil

Bookie said...

What a lovely gift! The dishes are pretty in themselves, but the knowing the were a grandmother's will enrich them for your family.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Kelsie,
What a darling tea set for your lil Sara! I love the violets and the gold trim. The teapot itself is adorable! Oh, she's going to have such fun with them someday! I am so happy for you that it was passed down to you from your Granny; a real treasure! Thanks for sharing it with us today and Happy Tea Tuesday!

Blessings,
Sandi

Patti said...

What a beautiful tea set. And I love the unique way it stacks. What a lovely gift for your little girl.

And, take it from me, don't wish too hard for the days when she's old enough to use it. They will be here soon enough. I shared a child's tea set today too, and the little one I enjoyed it with is now 20 years old...how did THAT happen? I mean, wasn't it just about five years ago that she was born!! I was always so anxious for my kids to grow up...and now I would give anything in the world to go back to when they were toddlers again.

Blessings,
Patti (Fill My Cup with Beauty)

mo said...

You are so fortunate to have this beautiful violet set from your Grandmother. I absolutely ADORE the stacked tea set! It is breathtaking. Thanks for sharing. *hugs*

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Goodness!! This is such a gorgeous set and what a special gift to pass on down the line to girls in the family!!
What a treasure!!

Debbie

Olivia said...

Hello. What a darling little set.
Good to see ya.
Hugs,
Olivia

Wanda Lee said...

Hello there Kelsie,

Thanks so much for joining in with our tea parties this week!..,

Your lovely tea table arrangement is simply delightful with your delightful heirloom china teaset; just heartwarmingly fabulous!

The legacy of these teatime treasures from your dear grandma are so special for that new great grand daughter!

I love the pretty motif especially!Beyond charming!

Cheers and hugs from Wanda Lee