Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A visit to Calovine Farm

 Last Thursday we had the opportunity to visit Calovine Farm just down the road (about 40minutes) from us in Williston...Lady Farmer Ruth was wonderful and gave us a tour of her farm and all her lovely animals...We came away with a better understanding of how much more we need to get done before we bring sheep onto our property....But this was not the only reason for our visit...Ruth has generously agreed to allow me to use one of her lambs in an upcoming photo event I am hosting at my place.

 She breeds St Croix...A meat breed that has hair not wool and more suited to the Florida climate...They not require shearing because they shed their winter coat in the spring.


 She also breeds St Augustine hybrid sheep, but alas I did not get any photos of those lovely ewes because,  wally that I am, I left my camera backup battery in the car.


This is one of her very Handsome Rams.


And her new  Great Pyrenees  puppy...yes puppy, he is but 12months old and just as sweet as can be...that is unless you are an intruder or predator then look out....I dream of the day we have enough sheep to warrant owning such a wonderful animal to protect them.


Anyone that knows me knows I am a sucker for a Jack Russel...
This little guy a wire hair was just too cute for words..


We had picked up Sara straight from Head Start and headed over to the farm...I did pack her a change of cloths but she would only agree to switch to her boots...She was so funny, climbing up on the hay bales and yelling..."Take a photo of me"....makes me wonder if I spend to much time pointing cameras at this kid hehe...Notice the disheaveled hair and dirty knees...She had a blast running (crawling) around with all the dogs...Picking flowers for Miss Ruth and just loving being on a true working farm.


Can't wait to visit again....So inspired and encouraged that my dream of raising sheep in FL WILL indeed come true..

Blessings Kelsie

Sharing for:
Outdoor Wednesday
Farm Girl Friday

5 comments:

On Crooked Creek said...

Kelsie,
I love the photo of Sara hugging the dog! And...yes...I'd be taking volumes of photos of Sara, too!
Fondly,
Pat

Nancy K. said...

Sara is beautiful and looks so HAPPY! That beats clean knees and tidy hair ANY DAY! ;-)

I had know idea that Jack Russells came in wire-haired! How cute...

www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com said...

Beautiful pictures. I also think that sheep must be a dream to have on the farm.

Lana

Jocelyn said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them.

Taylor said...

How cute . . . love the boots. Sheep, huh?! :)