Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Afternoon Thunderstorms...

I wanted to get a few photos of the garden today, so right before the afternoon thunderstorms moved in, I grabbed my camera and snapped just a few to share for this weeks garden parties.
The pink boots are holding up to the weather well, only a few flaky bits...I am not sure what it is growing in the left boot, it is some kind of succulent with a little cup part that catches the water when it rains...Sadly the heat this week got to it and it is a little burnt...I will need to move them to a more sheltered spot...in the right boot the thyme is growing back again...yay

I am so in love with my pink Knock-out rose...even after all the pounding from the rain this week the blooms are holding in there...

The sweet potato vines seem to be liking their new home and the basil that I harvested a couple of weeks back has new shoots on it also...my marigolds have been flowering non-stop since March...

Here is the sweet potato vine I snitched for my hanging basket...it is doing well, even had new growth and leaves on it already..

First Black Eye Susan opened this week

The white Wisteria is doing super well...I need to make up my mind which porch post I want to train it up SOON..

The volunteer Vinca are doing great and have filled the bed in front of the porch with a lovely splash of pretty colors.

Alas 2 of my butterfly bushes got blown over during yesterdays storm...Tomorrow morning I will have to trim them back and rebury their roots...

Also thanx to yesterdays storm is this small branch from the pecan tree (there were a few large branches down too)...but it proves we are going to have pecans this yr...I am so excited to have our very own pecans on the sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving...maybe even our own sweet potatoes too...Actually I am hoping most of the veggies this year will be from our own garden...Are you planting any veggies for your Thanksgiving meal this year?

Blessings Kelsie

Sharing today for:
Tuesday Garden Party @ http://www.anoregoncottage.com/
Outdoor Wednesday @ http://www.asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/
Cottage Flora Thursday @ http://fishtailcottage.blogspot.com/
Fertilizer Friday @ http://www.tootsietime.com/

20 comments:

Lana from Farm Life Lessons said...

All of this is incredible! I've never grown sweet potatoes...you have inspired me to try growing them.

Beautiful.

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I am sooo jealous of your green thumb Kelsie! Oh, and I hope your pecans do make. Those things are so very expensive here. Last year around the holidays (which is usually the only time I use them) one lady was selling them for $30.00 for a gallon ziploc bag. I told her she could just keep them and I would do without!

We had some much needed rain here most of yesterday. I love cloudy, rainy days occasionally.

Jen's Farmily said...

I'm so jealous of your rain!! It's pretty dry around us and VERY hot! I like the boot idea, very creative!

Honey at 2805 said...

Rain? What is that? Just love that "planter"!

Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! If there are 500entries, the Gift Card will increase to $100. Or did you do that already?

Honey

On Crooked Creek said...

Kelsie,
Lovely...well, except the broken pecan branch! HA! I'm still enthralled at your trunk (suitcase) in your garden. The rose bush is divine!
Fondly,
Pat

Dreaming said...

I love the boots! They are 'way cool'! The trunk is also fabulous. Darn, wouldn't you now, I just threw away a perfectly good pair of planter boots! I guess I'll have to hurry up and do more walking to wear out my current pair!

Darla said...

Yep, I too love the boots, you already know that though. Everything is looking good around your grounds...in your last post you have some really neat items.

Light and Voices said...

What fun to grow a sweet potato plant.
Joyce M

Karen said...

Kelsie, you have such a green thumb! I'm looking forward to seeing that wisteria of yours grow. That's a plant I'd love to have, but doubt it would like our climate.

The only vegetables I'm growing this year are peppers and tomatoes, and I'm hoping I get a good crop since we love tomato juice, sauce, etc. To have a pecan tree would be my husband's fondest dream, he loves them! I have two sweet potato vines and I'm hoping the mice (or chipmunks) don't find them first as they love to chew on them underground. Always something, isn't it? Glad you had some nice rain.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Love your planter boots! Sweet potato vines grow like crazy here, I always use them because they help fill in for the plants that bite the dust!
I'm afraid I don't have your green thumb.

fjällripan said...

Nice photos of your flowers in the garden :)

RobinfromCA said...

I love the creativity in your garden! The boots and the trunk are just too much fun! Can't wait to see what you do next!
Robin

Linda said...

Really beautiful photos for Outdoor Wednesday!!

Heirloom treasures said...

Love the boots, and can vinca ever not look good, when nothing else survives here the vinca keeps on blooming. Happy garden wednesday. xx jeanetteann

Gypsea Nurse said...

You are just awesome! How creative...I am moving to Florida this coming month..and already I know all about this rain.. but I love it!
So glad to have found you!
Smiles!
Cricket @ gypsea nurse

Mel_Cole said...

i love your creativeness on those boots. lovely pot it is.

Beth said...

Your boots and suitcase plantings are adorable, and creative! Nicely done.
Blessings, Beth

Fishtail Cottage said...

Ha! i'm so loving those boots & suitcase! thanks for sharing your garden over at Fishtail Cottage! sorry to hear about the storm...i too would be cringing (inside) watching my garden in the winds...

Tootsie said...

Ok...forgot to add...those boots are perfect too!!!

Tootsie said...

What a pretty post!!! Your photos are just lovely!
Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post...they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week...I do hope you will link in again soon!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.