Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The other lady in his life....

It was a glorious spring day here in Florida and after the deluge of rain from the storm on Monday night the garden was looking extra lush and green...We spent most of the afternoon working in the garden and around the yard...I thought I snapped just a few photos, but when I sat down to choose my favorites I realized I had snapped A LOT...I thought I would start by sharing the front yard first and the back yard & field photos in the next post...So here we go...

The newest bird bath is a match of an old cherub statue that had it's flower pot broken years ago and the glass bowl from the old light fixture that I turned in to my garden chandelier.

How lovely is this Portulaca bloom...I picked up a couple to different colors to put in pots on the front porch, that way I don't have to stress if I forget to water the porch plants during the hot Florida summer...Summer is our rainy season, watering of the gardens will be less frequent the hotter it is...Go figure

The Forget-me-not is doing really well, might have to thin this pot soon...

I finished planting the front veggie garden today...Add green peppers (capsicum), peanut seed, spinach, marigolds, a single jalapeno pepper and then threw nasturtium seed randomly into the garden...

How cute does my bunny statue (now with his ear re-attached thank you lil Sara grrrr) look in the middle of the onions...and if you look closely the pink work boots also found a home in this garden..

We took a stroll after dinner and Lil Sara did her Alice impersonation and followed a bunny rabbit, we ended up over at the old Mobil Home and the Bottle Brush bush is in full bloom...This is my only Australian native on the property so far, but I hope to add a few others that you can find here in the USA, kinda like a little pocket of my gardening heritage to share with my girls.

Hubby spent most of his day with the other woman in his life...Here he is hiding away with her behind the trees...

I am very jealous...I wanted to play with Nancy the Woodchipper too, but one of us had to keep Lil Sara away...Plus the chain saw scares me to death, so I left the trimming and chipping to Farm Brown here...

Nice fresh homemade Mulch....Lovely

Blessings Kelsie

Sharing today with:

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Kelsie, The portulaca is stunning. I doubt they would survive our coastal Fl summer heat and sun this far down (Largo/Clearwater area on the pennisula across from Tampa). My mom grew them but I never remember seeing such a beautiful color combo as yours. Also I love seeing all your land, gardens. I am such a country girl who landed on the populated Gulf Coast, so beautiful but so populated too, lol. Blessings. PS Did not do any parties this week, just wanted to stop and say hi.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Does your husband rent out with Nancy the woodchipper? :-) I wish I could have fresh mulch too.
Portulaca does well in hot sunny spots here too (Ontario) and from reseeding I've had it appear the following year - great little plant.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Looks like you are having fun, I hope I can spend the day in the garden tomorrow-have to work today!

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

How pretty Kelsie, I guess I just assumed since you are in Florida, you were surrounded by palm trees. Love your little gardens. And you have a wood chipper to make your own mulch? Oh, am I envious. I would love to have my very own wood chipper! Wonder what hubby would say about that? I just may check into this.

Becca's Dirt said...

Love that portulaca. I know it looks nice on the porch. Your bottle brush bush is so nice and colorful. Nice that it is from Australia. Hope you can add more from Australia. It will be interesting to watch them grow in Florida. Now those pink boots are so cute and just the right touch. Visiting from Fishtail Cottage. Hope you have a great weekend.

Karen said...

The portulaca is beautiful, love the striping in the flowers. The woodchipper is so much fun, I was wondering who the 'other woman' was. As long as she brings mulch to the garden that's a good thing.

On Crooked Creek said...

Kelsie,
LOVELY! Your yard is certainly taking shape nicely with your recent rains! I'm adoring that rabbit in the garden...(I have a few outdoors rabbits, too...sh-h-h-h) and the sighting of a real one would bring me great joy here on the prairie! Keep those photos of encouragement coming. Seed planting may begin this coming week as the night time temperatures stay more constant!
Fondly,
Pat

Gayle said...

My husband tells me he's getting me a wood chipper this summer. I sure hope so. I want to use it to run my compost through. I love power tools! :) Your man is lucky.

Fishtail Cottage said...

Seeing lot's of spring in your garden! Thanks for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's! Can't wait to see what you share this week! xoox, tracie