Friday, April 8, 2011

The Bees have arrived...

The Bee hives for the melon fields have been delivered...and boy the Bee's were not happy...They swarmed away from the hives and located 2 of my 3 bird baths.

It took them only a couple of hours to empty them of water...

I brought my Cockateils back into the house worried once the Bees finished with the bird baths they would head for the birds water dish...Caged birds and angry Bees can not be a good combination...The chickens are not happy about the Bees in their water either...Not much I can do about that though.

Once the water was gone from the baths, most of the Bees left, but a few dozen remained to swarm the end of the garden hose...making watering the new plants a little scary...

I called the neighbor who is doing the melons in the back fields and he told me they plan to add more water barrels for them today...I will leave my bird baths empty until the Bees are more settle...SORRY BIRDIES...Also have to keep lil Sara inside again today...Though I am seeing a lot fewer Bees in the garden so far today.

We have pondered getting a couple of hives but I want to do much more research before we commit to such a big decision...Though we would only have a couple not the 20 something that have been set out in the fields, so would not be dealing with numbers I saw yesterday...

Saving the Bee population is so important to the delicate balance of things, especially if we all want to keep eating fruits and veggies....Check out the clip over at Hidden Meadow Farm

Blessings Kelsie

7 comments:

Darla said...

Well Kelsie, I don't believe I have ever seen such as this...very interesting and I hope they clear out of your yard soon. Man they were thirsty!

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

Wow, really........who knew they even drank water!! ha

farmer said...

When our bee guy comes he brings usually 104 hives,a huge amount of bees,they to leave and head for the house. I have seen them drinking from the cows water and out of foot prints made by the cows that have a bit of water in them.
We had a swarm near the house last time 4'x4', pretty crazy.
Thanks for the link!

Fishtail Cottage said...

This is all very interesting to me...they must of been very thirsty! xoox, tracie

On Crooked Creek said...

Kelsie,
Never knew bees drank that much water! Thanks for the info. I'll still be waiting for photos of those melon blossoms! Watch 'lil Sara closely. I had a bee sting as a child...never has left my memory...and I'm olden now! HA!
Fondly,
Pat

Karen said...

How very interesting; we've had swarms of bees stop here but never saw them congregate at the birdbaths or fountains. The noise they make is alarming, isn't it? Kind of creepy, actually. I do hope the bee population can recover though, we need them so much.

Tootsie said...

this is new to me too!!! wow...who would have thought! I'd have been a mess...I am allergic!
it is important to save them tho!