Saturday, September 4, 2010

Early Birds on Laundry Day

This morning I turned from filling the washing machine and glanced out the laundry room window, already there were birds at the feeder that hangs from the pear tree. So I ran and grabbed my camera and snapped a couple of photos thru the window.
(all the images were taken in 10 minutes..I love my pear tree)


As you can see in the background of this shot we are starting to see some subtle colors of autumn creep in, if it is only in the uncut hay field...It is decidedly cooler this morning and I was able to open the windows to get some fresh air thru the house...About another hour and I will have to close them and by lunch time the A/C will be kicking in again.


Mother and baby Cardinal sitting on the BBQ next to the pear tree. I was not able to get a shot of the red male as he was to busy chasing away the intruding gray bird in the previous shot.

We also have a very young blue bird that likes to come and enjoy the pears...


This is not a very good shot, as this guy is always on the move and very hard to photograph, but he stops by often to hammer on the old part of the stump and occasionally the fruit...

As you can see we have a unique way to enjoy the fruit from the pear tree...since it is to high up to pick and I do not have time to be canning right now, we leave it for the birds to enjoy, even our own chickens and ducks love to come forge under the tree for the fruit the squirrels drop.

Other birds we have seen visit our yard this week included 11 quail passing thru and stopping to take a drink from the birdbath dish that is laying on the ground below the pear tree, and a HUGE hawk, that though we were in awe to have it so close, having it on the front porch hanging from the side of my cockateil's bird cage was less than ideal...My poor babies are now confined indoors until I can figure out a safe way for them to be on the porch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the bluebird picture in particular. How great to have a pear tree, I'm jealous!!